/api/v2/definitions/jurisdictions doesn't include rates

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
I'm using the List Jurisdictions endpoint to retrieve a list of jurisdictions for a given region. In the documentation, the example response includes the tax rate for the jurisdiction. However, in my response, the rate is not included, e.g.:
    {
      "code": "NUEE0",
      "name": "BAY DE NOC CVB",
      "type": "Special",
      "region": "MI",
      "city": "",
      "county": "",
      "country": "US",
      "shortName": "BAY DE NOC CVB",
      "stateFips": "26",
      "countyFips": "",
      "placeFips": "",
      "id": 2001078677,
      "effectiveDate": "2019-08-01T00:00:00",
      "endDate": "9999-12-31T00:00:00"
    }

Is there a parameter or something I'm missing on how to use this API to get the actual rates?

Thanks!
Photo of Andy Selvig

Andy Selvig

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Wayne Myer

Wayne Myer, Official Rep

• 210 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Hi Andy,

AvaTax does not provide tax rates in jurisdiction response. Many (most) tax rates are actually rulesets: different types of goods and services have different rates, often within tiered amounts. One example might be 0% tax on a single doughnut, but a tax is applied on five or more doughnuts. Another common example is zero tax on educational books, whereas fictional books are taxed. This is information that cannot be concisely conveyed in a jurisdiction model. 

The closest you can get to rate information is the DownloadTaxRatesByZipCode or either of the TaxRates endpoints. These provide rates only for tangible physical property and are calculated based on ZIP centroid, which can be inaccurate.

Thank you,
Wayne Myer
Photo of Katina

Katina, Official Rep

• 251 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Andy,

I did some testing and was able to replicate this behavior. I've reached out to the API team to see if something has changed in either the model or the documentation that would explain this discrepancy.

In the meantime, depending on your use case, you might consider another of our APIs that return rate information linked below: