Does anybody know what the "rate limit" is for using the TaxRatesByAddress AvaTax REST v2 API?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago

While there are places in the documentation that mention using the Free API for TaxRatesByAddress, the actual page for this API says there is a "rate limit" but doesn't specify what it is. Does anybody know? And what do you do after you reach the limit -- can you pay to continue using the API?

Photo of roricka

roricka

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Wayne Myer

Wayne Myer, Official Rep

• 210 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Hello Roricka,

Thank you for asking about Avalara Free APIs. We strive to keep these free APIs available for all to use. The limits on the tax content APIs are subject to change based on a number factors. If you are running into HTTP 429 errors, you are correct that you can upgrade to a paid account to continue using the AvaTax APIs. Please contact our tax technology consultants to upgrade your access.

Thank you,
Wayne Myer
Photo of Naresh

Naresh

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Can you let me know is there any paid version of taxratesbypostal code API  without running into HTTP 429 error. i have a paid account i can not see this api listed in my account. 
Photo of Wayne Myer

Wayne Myer, Official Rep

• 210 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Hi Naresh,

Good question! In addition to the free content APIs, you can get more tailored tax rate data through the Tax Content APIs. The DownloadTaxRatesByZipCode endpoint does not have rate limiting when you have a paid AvaTax subscription and allows for refining the information you get returned. 

Let me know if that answers your question and how that endpoint works for you.

Thank you,
Wayne Myer